Saturday, July 11, 2009

Yesterday I was very impressed with J Flame's honesty and courage in blogging about being an alcoholic; it brought back many memories, starting with pain. Today I was impressed with Ginger's blog about "Pain is a sign of weakness leaving the body". And so thoughts began spinning in the whirlwind of my mind-a different type of pain but still apropos.

On January 26th I celebrated 20 years in recovery for alcoholism and narcotic addiction. I have vivid memories of the pain I caused for Meow and family, friends,co-workers and many innocent bystanders. I remember the pain of my emptiness that could not be filled and knowing I was totally controlled by addiction and was not-so-slowly committing suicide. I was at my bottom of my abyss. I knew I would die soon. During the first night in a "recovery ward" I had an indescribable spiritual experience that was life shattering and life altering.

And then came 30 days of "recovery". Six hours a day of "group therapy" for six days a week. That's when I had the continual pain of weakness leaving my body. The weaknesses of guilt, shame, anger (especially that wonderful righteous anger), dishonesty, greed, being a victim, pride, arrogance... the list went on and on. Group therapy relentlessly exposed these weaknesses and held them in my face until I had to let them go. Group therapy used the pain of my weaknesses to strip my soul bare for all to see.

But then came the deliciousness and joy of recovery. My Higher Power began to fill that emptiness. The 12 Steps and the Big Book lead me into a new way of thinking and living. AA's loved me from the first meeting on. I have never been to a 12 Step meeting that I haven't seen a miracle in a person's life. Many miracles have occurred in my life.

The pain of weaknesses still jabs me into awareness as I peel the layers of the proverbial "onion" of my soul. The Myers Briggs, The Enneagram, many spiritual and religious teachings all point to accepting and leaving weaknesses on a path of redemption.




8 comments:

PK said...

That was quite a journey but it sure seem like the man you have become was worth the wait. I know Meow feels that way.

Hugs,
PK

Daisychain said...

My only vice is chocolate!!! But, on that alone, I can understand how incredibly difficult it must be to give up something you not only really enjoy, but which also makes you feel good!
Just remember, "If God brings you to it, He will see you through it."
Congratulations on spending over 20 years free of those poisons. A remarkable achievement.

To witness miracles is an awesome thing; they demonstrate the power of God, and it is a joy and an honour to be able to see Him at work in peoples lives.

Lets create a prayer chain around Jay... she needs the support.

Thanks for joining this community, Lash, you are needed here! XXX

Lash said...

Thanks PK! It's nice to get support for my first blog.
Lash

Florida Dom said...

Lash: Congrats on starting your blog and on 20 years of being sober. And I'm sure that Jflame appreciates the supportive note on your recovery that you put on her blog. And it's great that you and Meow have discovered the DD lifestyle and you understand that Meow isn't weak for wanting to be a sub. Will be looking forward to reading your blog.

Tiggs said...

Very brave post for you to start off your blog!!!! Speaks to your character and that of Meow's, too! Of course, I would have expected nothing less than wonderful from someone she is with! Glad to get to start getting to know BOTH of you more deeply!

Biggest hugs and warmest welcomes (you are now linked on ASGT, too!)

Lash said...

Florida Dom & Tiggs-Thanks again. Lash

Anonymous said...

Hi Lash,
Welcome to blogland. Recovery is great.
Happy spanking!
I'm glad you're here.
Maryann

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new blog!! i seem to have 2 myself. This one (which is private) and drippinglysweet.wordpress.com

Blogging can be very healthy and very addictive!! i've also met some wonderfully supportive people so far.